Saturday, February 19, 2011

Playing Favorites

Against the rules, I have a favorite child.  My daughter is a trooper!  Having a sibling with a disability is not an easy thing.  Children with disabilities unintentionally monopolize everyone's time and attention.  In our family the younger sibling is typical.  She has never known any difference, but she has felt it none the less.  Reading her a story, playing a game going to the movies was always interrupted by her big brother.   Even if we had a sitter, we got calls interrupting our together time. Her toys were broken, her space invaded, and her life different than everyone else.  She went through a time that she was jealous of every ounce of attention paid to him.  She pointed out that everyone who came to visit always greeted him first often forgetting to acknowledge her.  I doubted her at first and after observing  for a while, I found it to be true.  What an ego crusher!  Don't get me wrong, I love both my children equally. But I do have a favorite...who could resist those big blue eyes, the sweet freckles on her nose,  the way she cares about others!  She signs her notes and cards:  from your favorite child.  And she's right.

No comments:

Post a Comment