Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Geneology

Have you ever wondered where you came from?  NO, not the birds and the bees! We know that, but who were those people that met and started your family so long ago.  The people we call ancestors?  I have seen my family's history  traced way, way back to the early 1800's or maybe earlier. Of course I was a teenager at the family reunion and I wasn't real thrilled to be spending my Sunday afternoon with a bunch of weird, old people talking about some old dead guy that lived in Ireland being my Great, Great, Great, Great Grandfather.   I had relatives (who obviously were the ones that contributed the gene that gave my son autism)  traced the family back to the country of origin. I guess that eventually everyone wonders who they got their temper from, or what genes may have caused them to be prone to allergies.  There are many sites out there that you can use to find out your family's heritage. I haven't really had the urge to use one, because I guess I have a pretty large family that tells stories about my great grandparents  boot-legging whiskey and burying thousands of dollars in a gallon jar under the floor of the chicken house.   
On the other hand, my DH doesn't know much about his family. He didn't know either of his grandfathers.His father's father died of a heart attack while his father was a teenager forcing him to be the man of the house.  His mother's father was allegedly the town drunk and he doesn't remember ever meeting him or his mother talking about him.   DH was lucky enough to meet both his grandmother's though. His father's mother was a cook for the school system.  She liked to cook and I actually got to meet her.  Although, she was convinced that we related and shouldn't get married.  That's another story.  She was quite the doozie! DH tells stories of playing baseball with her and his cousins in her yard and the fun times they had on the holidays.  She would fall asleep on the couch and snore loudly, but deny it and say she was resting her eyes.  His mother's mother was very close to him.  She taught him to do many things.  She was a tough old biddy and drove a truck (semi) until she retired.  He was her right hand man and they spent lots of time together.  She taught him to fish, work on cars, and to be a man.  She died while he was in high school from cancer.   Maybe we should start a search or I should ask his relatives for more information about his family so he can know his family tree. I don't think he really cares, or if he does he never says so.  One thing is for sure, the way he sleeps and snores--- he's a direct descendant of Rip Van Winkle!

No comments:

Post a Comment